You can register online for a user card.
You can pick up your user card during opening hours.
If the valid period of your user card has ended, you can renew it on site during our opening hours. Please bring your valid ID (or valid passport and certificate of registration with the local authority) as usual.
There are different ways of borrowing books:
- On site: You can pick up the books you ordered in advance during the opening hours of the ZBW. Sign in at the service desk, then you can take the books from the pick-up shelf as usual.
- Home delivery: You can pay to have books delivered to your home. Order the books in the usual way in EconBiz. Then write an email to info@ and tell us that you want them sent to you. Please list the books you have ordered, the delivery address, and confirm that you are willing to pay the costs. These are as follows: €9 for the first book, €2 for all other books. You will receive an invoice and payment is by bank transfer. zbw.eu
- Subito: You can also use the document delivery service of subito which also allows you to order individual articles. More information about registration and costs can be found at: subito
You can return books outside our opening hours.
- Kiel: The book flap next to the entrance of the ZBW Kiel is available around the clock.
- Hamburg: The return box in the foyer of the ZBW is accessible Monday-Friday between 6:30a.m.–7:30p.m.
Overdue fines are charged as usual (scale of fees).
Payment can be made during opening hours at our branches (cash or by EC card).
Fees of €10 and more can be paid by bank transfer. Please email us at info@. Please take note that your user account will remain blocked until payment has been processed. This can take several weeks. zbw.eu
Journals, yearbooks and reference holdings are still exempt from borrowing.
You can consult them at our branches during opening hours and scan or copy the articles/pages you need.
Scanning is free if you bring your own USB flash drive. The cost for copies is €0.05 per page.
The usual loan periods apply at this time.
You can borrow books for three weeks.
You can renew them four times unless somebody else makes a reservation for them.
Of course we are still available if you have any questions, need advice or have other concerns. You can contact us:
- By phone: During opening hours we are on the phone at both branches under 0431/8814-555 or 040/42834-219.
- By email: you can email us with your problems and questions at info@. We will reply from Monday til Friday between 9a.m. and 4:30p.m. zbw.eu
- By chat: The EconBiz-Chat is also available between 9a.m. and 4:30p.m. where you can contavct our staff.