The ZBW successfully implements equal work opportunities for women and men. We support our employees in their professional development and career choices (including part-time employees). Gender equality is the responsibility of all managers and a cross-sectional task impacting on all areas of the ZBW. The Law on Equality of Women in the Cicil Service of Schleswig-Holstein and the Agreement of Implementation on Equal Opportunities provide the basis.
Should women be under-represented in academic employment and management functions, or in subject-specific areas, they will be preferred in the application procedure if they can show equal qualifications. We aim for a balanced employment structure in all our areas of activity.
As an institution of the Leibniz Association, we implement the DFG’s Research-oriented Standards on Gender Equality of the German Research Foundation (DFG), and in continuation from 2017 onwards the Leibniz Standards on Gender Equality. In our Gender Equality Plan we have engaged to implement our targets for gender equality.
The ZBW supports the reconciliation of work and family life. Our numerous measures in this area address both female and male members of staff:
- Flexitime is guaranteed in a service agreement.
- Part-time models with the option to return to former full-time positions are implemented flexibly and address the individual needs of employees.
- Teleworking is arranged individually within a generous framework (service agreement).
- We support the reconciliation of work and long-term care of relatives with individual arrangements.
- A parent-child-office is available at both branches.
- The ZBW provides emergency childcare and participation in holiday programmes for school children in Kiel and Hamburg.
- Parents can be integrated into the internal communication flow during parental leave; their participation in training programmes during parental leave supports reintegration into working life.
In 2015, the ZBW achieved the TOTAL E-QUALITY rating for the third time, honouring our equality-oriented personnel policy.